Saturday, December 20, 2008

The Right Thing

An year year ago I was talking to a mentor of mine (Gary Goodman) and he said this which really impressed me.

Business and Life are about two basic questions.
1.) Are we doing things right?
2.) More importantly, are we doing the right thing?

The simplicity hit me. While we trod through life, career, relationships and projects it helps to keep these two questions in mind.

The story behind it is funny too. My mentor and his friend were at an airport to go to a business meeting. The friend's shirt lost some threads and buttons. This friend then goes to a room in the airport and tries to mend it with a needle and thread. This took about an hour. My mentor asked his friend why he did not take out a new shirt from the suitcase and wear it.

When in the middle of something difficult, keep these things in mind..

Dedicated to one of my Mentors, Gary Goodman who taught me this lesson over lunch. Gary, you will be missed!!

No comments: